Monday 26 September 2011

Background Check


Since you’ll soon be learning of the many tales of the last 11 months of my career as a fiancée (the word has always seemed slightly on the pretentious side but there doesn’t appear to be a decent euphemism – so be it), it would only be fair to share with you a little history on yours truly and how I became a bride-to-be.

I met my (ahh here’s the word again) fiancé in June 2004 at camp. It was my first summer being a camp counselor and since the camp was comprised of all local Ottawa peeps, I sort of assumed I knew everyone. Well, I think you know what happens when you ASSume...
The first person to greet me at the staff meeting that I was 3 hours late for (punctuality is not, and has never been, my strong suit) was this dark haired, hazel eyed boy wonder that I didn’t recognize. How could this be? A cute guy from Ottawa that I didn’t know? Not possible. Turns out, it was impossible, as he was from Montreal.  

I was born in Montreal and went to a summer camp nearby as a kid, so I knew a lot of people there. Naturally, we played a little Jewish Geo and found out we shared numerous mutual connections (one being A! They went to camp together for years. And another being my good friend in MTL, P, they went to high school together). Perfect I thought to myself, and I did what any smart (and I suppose a tiny bit shallow) little cookie would do; called my friends to make sure this dude was legit to turn into my summer fling. Suffice it to say, 7 years later, he turned out to be much more than that. 

After doing the long distance thing for 4 years, followed by living together in MTL for 3, the question I had been anxiously awaiting for was finally popped! We've been together for so long, and I had played out this scenario in my head a million times before it went live, but still I was overcome with an overwhelming "butterflies in your stomach" feeling after hearing those 4 little words...WILL YOU MARRY ME? And on bended knee, no less! To date, this was THE most exciting moment of my life, and I cannot believe how quickly the year has flown by. Our wedding is only 20 days away...the countdown is ON!

Sincerely,

S

No comments:

Post a Comment