Monday 28 November 2011

Something Borrowed

“But I have learned that you make your own happiness, that part of going for what you want means losing something else. And when the stakes are high, the losses can be that much greater.”
― Emily Giffin, Something Borrowed

In follow up to our post about maintaining the tradition of Something Old, New, Borrowed and Blue, I would like to focus today on the “Borrowed”.  Traditionally, a bride is to borrow an item from a happily married friend or family member.  Ideally, the item is something the lender used or wore on her wedding day to pass along her good fortune in marriage to the new bride.  It is such an honour for the bride to carry or wear something sentimental from one of her family members, bridesmaids or friends.

When my sister (aka MOH) got married she had her veil inscribed with her initials and left out her middle initial intentionally.  Conveniently we share the same initials and she told me then that she would love if I one day used her veil as my ‘something borrowed’.  Leave it to my sister to plan on lending it before she even wore it herself.  I was so touched and knew one day I would take her up on the offer.   I plan to bring it with me for my first fitting and hopefully she’ll be there to help put it on properly (knowing me, I’d have it on backwards). 

If no one has offered a suitable item then feel free to ask someone close to you if they have something for you. And also consider your friends’ upcoming nuptials and offer anything you think they would like to ‘borrow’.  You could ask for a string of pearls from your mother, a cameo from your grandmother, your cousin’s wedding earrings, or a prettily embroidered handkerchief from your dad to tie around your bouquet.  Also, you might speak to your parents or grandparents about wearing something of a family member that has passed to have a part of them with you for the day. You could also get very creative on the tradition and “borrow” your parents or in-laws wedding song for your first dance.  Or take a trip to the library (I know it’s been a while) and “borrow” the book with your favourite quote, poem or reading to deliver during your speech or vows. Lastly, you could borrow a men’s dress shirt from your dad, brother, fiancé or groomsmen to wear while you get ready – it’s practical for hair and make-up and really cute.

Next up, something old.

Yours truly,

A

No comments:

Post a Comment